"You are dead a long time, so enjoy the time you have while you are alive"





Audio: Dave Is On The Road Again by Manfred Mann

Thursday, August 14, 2014

Day 18 (Whistler to Vancouver to Nanaimo, Vancouver Island)

'The Longest Day'...well I knew the chain on the bike needed tightening, but I forgot the tools to do the adjustment myself.  Appointment was made at Ducati of Vancouver, told them I'd be there at 9 am, when they open.  So it was up early, even though it thundered all night, the sky was overcast, but no rain.  I threw the full KLIM gear on, just in case.
 
Sea to Sky is the highway from Vancouver to Whistler, famous for it's scenic drive.  I have zero pics.  The overcast skies stuck with me for 2/3's the way down the Sea to Sky (I'm doing Sky to Sea), then the skies opened up.  I've ridden in the rain, really don't have a problem with it, I expected it on this trip, which is why I spent the $$$$ on the KLIM gear, and must say it is worth every cent and more!  

If you read this blog from the beginning, you'll remember my post about electronics...well, they are designed to be helpful, but they can be the opposite as well.  This day was an example of that.  The Garmin took me to the wrong address.  I did get lucky though, as I pulled over to figure out where I was, a mailman walked by.  I asked him for directions, he knew right where the Ducati dealer was, and I was there at 9:02 am.  Doors were being unlocked as I walked up.  


Turns out I needed a new chain ($330 CDN...hey it's a Ducati) and 2 1/2 hours later I was on the road to find the ferryport, for my 'ride' to Vancouver Island.  Thank you Diego for working me in to the service schedule and getting back on the road!  The drive to the ferryport, was in a downpour, but uneventful.  I wasn't sure what to expect, having never ridden a motorcycle onto a ferryboat for a crossing before.  It is pretty cool.  Drive up to the 'toll booth', paid my $24, told to drive to the front of lane 1, passing at least a hundred cars, trucks, RVs, etc.  Motorcycles go to the front of the line...yippie!

Here we are lined up at the front of the line, eventually there were about 10 motorcycles, luckily we are under an overpass (rain)...


Ugh...they repositioned us back to lane 3, lucky the rain let up a bit...


Then it was time to board, we all rode onto the ferry, were guided to the front, parked, knocked a wood chock underneath the right side of the bike to insure it wasn't going to tip over during the ride.

Here's a view of the bikes on the ferry...


I'm not sure what the ship's capacity is, but there are a LOT of vehicles on this ferry, to include heavy trucks and RVs...


Once IKRAN (if you don't know, it's my bikes name) was secured, it was off to the 'sun' deck.  On this particular day it was the 'overcast' deck...


Here's Paddy and Michael, from Ireland, I helped them chock their bikes, and I ran into them on the sun deck, as they were reviewing a map of Vancouver Island.  They flew into Vancouver, rented a couple Harley's, and are on a swing through western Canada...


Topside, outside, still raining...


Little marina next to the ferryport...


Casting off...


Vancouver in the distance...


Once out on the open waters, you can see freighters...


...and ferrys in the shipping lanes...


90 minutes later...Land ho!  Vancouver Island and Nanaimo in the distance...


Getting closer...


Your's truly, sporting my new haircut.  No hair dryer/wet hair in the helmet, makes for a pain.  Went back to my military days and 35-10 (you Air Force guys know 35-10!).


Seaplanes are common out here...


Coming into dock at Nanaimo...


In a couple minutes this gate will be dropped and we will all be driving off...


...bikes to the ready!  4 rows of cars first, then it's the bikes, I'm riding the streets of Nanaimo literally minutes after we dock.


I hadn't eaten all day, so I was in search of lodging and a meal.  Found a pizza joint, devoured a large ham and cheese, yes the whole thing, then hit the rack exhausted.  Long day, but I'm on Vancouver Island and if the weather cooperates, tomorrow should be a good day, and on to Tofino!




























































3 comments:

  1. The WX is not that good....... See on the Ducati dealer sign BMW is first... lol..
    I don't ike to ride in the rain... other drivers "IN FRANCE" are nuts !
    Nice picture but with a grey sky... :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was the ferry ride all it was cracked up to be when we were dreaming about this trip at work??? Love the haircut airman!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. B-Rain...it was cool! Smooth sailing the whole way. We'll see how the next one is, from Victoria to Port Angeles, in few days. Supposedly motorcycles need tie downs, it's a rougher ride on the open seas, for the 3 hour voyage...like Gillian's ;-))

    ReplyDelete