"You are dead a long time, so enjoy the time you have while you are alive"





Audio: Dave Is On The Road Again by Manfred Mann

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Day 2 (Lassen/Crater Lake)

It was up early at Scott's, my destination for the evening was a campsite I had reserved at Crater Lake Nat'l Park, in Oregon...however, I wanted to do a 'drive by' through Lassen Volcanic Nat'l Park, before heading up into Oregon.  It was going to be another long day.

The roads up into Paradise are nothing to write home about, but as you leave Paradise, the ride takes on a different perspective as you begin to climb in elevation.  Nice sweepers into the hills...


Eventually the road begins to parallel Lost Creek and the scenery is beautiful, but no time to stop for pics, I need to get to Lassen!  I did stop for this pic, I think tunnels are cool, and yes, I do hit the horn as I go through!


Lassen Nat'l Park...


...incredible motorcycle roads, top 5 that I've ridden to date.  Long sweepers, tight twisties, and 'to die for scenery'.  Awesome!


One thing I've gotten used to are the construction delays that are indigenious to mountain areas.  This delay was for clearing a boulder that had fallen onto the road.  The stop sign guy was personable and he and I talked while we waited for the 'follow me' truck.


Done with my Lassen 'drive by', next up Crater Lake, Oregon.  This next segment of road was torture! Hwy 97 North into Oregon and eventually Washington.  OMG.  First, the temps soared above 100 and in Oregon the speed limit is 55...and it is enforced!  I did not personally find this out, but I did see a number of cars pulled over and being isssued citations.  Finally, I was so hot, I threw caution to the wind, and the speedo went to the 90's.  I figured if I got pulled over, the back of the squad car had to be air conditioned!  


Finally some temperature relief as I climbed in elevation and arrived at my destination for the evening, Crater Lake Nat'l Park Campground...



...and the campsite I staked out was steps from the restaurant patio with some decent craft biers on tap!  Campsite all set up...


...it was time to hydrate and relax!


Some of the fun of being on the road on a motorcycle is that people are inquisitive about your travels and conversations are easily started.  I met Joyce on the patio, while having a bier, and learned about her adventure.  She is hiking the Pacific Coast Trail, started in Mexico, is 1800 miles into it, and is hoping to finish in September.  She is 65 yrs young!  Here is Joyce and her husband Loren, who met her at the campground, will spend a day together, before she is off continuing her journey.  Loren, if you read this, remember, I want an autographed copy of your new novel!  After visiting with them for a bit, it was off to my campsite...


...and time for a fireside nightcap!





















No comments:

Post a Comment